Location: Flexible within the U.S.
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Benefits: Fortune 500 Benefits, Start-up Culture
DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR POSITION OVERVIEW
The Progressive Multiplier Fund is seeking a Development Director to build and manage the fundraising strategy and activities of the organization. The successful candidate will be driven, ambitious, excellent at interpersonal communications, experienced in major gift and / or foundation fundraising, passionate about progressive issues, staff management, and motivated to build a sizable fundraising team from the ground up while doing the groundwork of building a program in the short-term.
This is a new position, inheriting excellent systems and a strong foundation of donors and prospects. The Development Director will work closely with the Executive Director, who views partnering with the Development Director in raising major gifts and foundation funds a priority of the ED role.
The position will require managing relations with the Progressive Multiplier Fund’s current, long-standing donor partners, as well as supporting efforts to broaden the Progressive Multiplier Fund’s donor base.
The ideal candidate will be motivated to build a team; the Fundraising Director will be authorized to hire new major donor officers for every 65 qualified prospects that are identified.
The PMF is a non-profit organization that finances revenue generation projects for the progressive movement.
The PMF gives grants from two funds, the Test & Innovation Fund and the Growth Fund, which have different funding criteria and priorities.
- The Test & Innovation Fund provides grants to nonprofits interested in testing new revenue generation models, as well as testing the replication of revenue generation programs that have worked in other organizations. Grants range from $1,000 to $25,000, with an average grant size of $10,000. Successful revenue generating projects can be scaled up with funding through the PMF Growth Fund.
- The Growth Fund is a valuable resource for organizations that wish to scale up existing revenue projects. The Growth Fund provides recoverable grants and market rate loans to support organizations seeking to expand their revenue streams and have a greater impact. Recoverable grants and loans from the Growth Fund can be as large as $120,000.
Of equal importance, the PMF works to share everything it learns with all progressive organizations, equipping the whole community to grow more quickly.
DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Individually perform the following tasks and, over time, build and manage a team to achieve the following:
- Raise $3 million annual budget in 2019, $4 million in 2020, and $5 million in 2021.
- Create annual fundraising plans for the Progressive Multiplier Fund;
- Plan and execute strategies for identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of prospects, donors, and foundations;
- Research potential new donors and foundations and conduct outreach to them;
- Direct solicitation, and where needed, prepare the executive director for meetings with donors and, when required, accompany the executive director to donor meetings;
- Manage the fundraising schedule of the Executive Director and others;
- Development related marketing materials and communications;
- Maintain correspondence with existing and prospective donors in a timely and professional manner;
- Prepare proposals and grant reports and support the executive director with proposal and grant report writing;
- Ensure that the Progressive Multiplier Fund submits timely and professional grant reports in appropriate formats;
- Coordinating, with the Executive Director, Board engagement and development activities;
- Organize donor briefings; and
- Manage and strategically use donor database (Salesforce).
- Build and Manage a team
- Hire new major gift or foundation fundraising team members (staff or consultants) for every 65 qualified prospects identified.
The ideal candidate for the Development Director position should have the following experience and qualifications:
- 5+ years’ experience working in non-profit organization fundraising departments;
- Demonstrated commitment to the progressive causes;
- Managing and building high-performance, diverse, and inclusive teams;
- Ability to communicate the mission and activities of the PMF in compelling ways to different donor audiences;
- Strong writing and interpersonal skills with ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Demonstrates a very high level of organization; a strong ability to prioritize tasks to meet multiple deadlines;
- A clear understanding of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofit legal issues/structures;
- Experience working with a fundraising or CRM database;
- Fluency in Microsoft Office;
- Ability and willingness to travel 25% of the time (one or two partial-week trips per month); and
- A sense of humor is a plus.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Director” in the subject line. Visit our website, www.progressivemultiplier.fund. No phone calls please.
Progressive Multiplier Fund is an equal opportunity employer strongly committed to diversity and inclusion within the workplace. Women, People of Color, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically disenfranchised populations are encouraged to apply.